Yesterday posixninja a member of the Chronic dev team announced that their jailbreak tool GreenPois0n would be released on Oct. 10th. With that simple ETA given the twittosphere blew up with questions yet to be answered.
Listed below are the answers to all your questions regarding unlocking, jailbreaking, device compatability with the new Greenpois0n jailbreaking tool:
- Q: Will this jailbreak all i-devices?
- A: No it will not, Greenpois0n will only jalbreak the latest generation of i-devices (ipod touch 4, iphone 4, ipad, Apple Tv)
- Q: Will this unlock the iphone 4?
- A: No this is only a jailbreak, you must stay on firmware 4.0.1 if you want to retain your unlock and wait until the iphone dev team releases pwnagetool to update and preserve your baseband or until a different way to unlock comes.
- Q: Is this a tethered jailbreak or untethered?
- A: With the help oc comex and another userland exploit it will be an untethered jalbreak only after doing a little extra work.
- Q:Will this hacktivate my i-device (get it past the connect to itunes screen)?
- A: Yes it supports hactivation meaning you don’t need an official sim card to activate the i-device.
- Q:What about us older i-device owners why don’t we have a jailbreak (ipod touch 3g, iphone 3gs new bootrom)?
- A: Unfortunately the SHAtter exploit the Greenpois0n jailbreak uses only works on newer i-devices as the exploit is based on the new A4 chip. Those with an older i-device are going to have to wait and see if the upcoming dev team jailbreak tools work with your device.
To get the latest up to date information you can follow @ChronicDev on twitter (Link) or check out their official site http://chronic-dev.org/blog/. If we missed anything feel free to leave a comment.